Pet Care 101: Beware of Rat Poison Access

Woman touch dog belly. Sick vizsla suffer from indigestion food poisoning, infection or animal virus

While having rat and mouse poison at home helps us get rid of these pesky rodents, we need to keep our dogs away and unable to access these toxins.

Dealing with a rodent problem can really be very taxing. Unfortunately, the use of poison to deal with this problem can make your dogs and pets curious and, if unmonitored, may lead to a new set of other issues.

Ingesting these poisons can greatly affect dogs, cats, and even wildlife. At Northway Veterinary Hospital, we understand the negative and far-reaching impacts of ingesting these toxins can have on our pets, so we are sharing a few red flags and dangers of having these at home.

These poisons come in various forms, and in the event that your pet consumes these toxins, it would be helpful to know what ingredient was ingested so that your veterinarian can give the proper treatment. Make sure to check the ingredients of rodent poison you purchase.

Anticoagulants prevent an animal’s blood from clotting, so if your dogs ingest this, it might take around three to five days before symptoms like internal bleeding, trouble breathing, pale gums, lethargy, and coughing up blood arise.

If your pet has ingested anticoagulants, make sure to look out for other signs like nosebleeds, bloody urine, bruising, diarrhea and vomiting. Make sure you rush your pet to the veterinary clinic as soon as possible for treatment. Never try to treat your pet at home on your own.

Another toxic ingredient to look out for is Bromethalin which causes the brain to swell. If a pet gains access to this, they can experience anorexia, lethargy, vomiting, paralysis, anxiety, tremors, and seizures. Signs can also manifest within two to 36 hours later, depending on how much was consumed and taken by your pets.  

It is recommended to contact your veterinarian as soon as you discover that your pet has ingested this type of toxin as hospitalization might be required to fight the long-term impact of this particular poison.

Another dangerous rodent poison that pets should avoid access to is Vitamin D3 that when ingested, can cause extremely high levels of calcium and phosphorus. This can then lead to kidney failure. Symptoms your pets can experience after ingesting this toxin include halitosis, weight loss, tremors, decrease in appetite, weakness, and increased thirst.

If you think your pet has ingested it, make sure to immediately rush them to your vet so they can keep a close eye on your pet while providing aggressive treatments to bring down the levels of calcium and phosphorus in their systems.

To access the latest news and announcements, visit our Facebook page and our Instagram account.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Telegram
Email
Tumblr
Print

Nullam quis risus eget urna mollis ornare vel eu leo. Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed