It’s no surprise that our pets become an extension of our families and provide us with the greatest of joys. However, because we can’t monitor our pets’ movements and activities 24 hours a day because of our busy schedules, it’s vital to learn some preventive measures to keep them safe at all times.
Spring is just around the corner, and pet parents are encouraged to be more aware of the possibilities that can happen around their pets from budding flowers to fertilizers and common home products. We can all agree that spring is a warm welcome from the cold winter days, and we’re not the only ones glad to leave the cold behind and welcome some warm sunshine weather. It’s important to keep an eye on our pets to ensure they stay safe and prevent any unwanted trips to the vets.
Northway Veterinary Hospital recognizes that some pets can become overly excited and would not realize that some items at home can be harmful to them. And in addition, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has worked for over three decades to provide lifesaving reminders and information so that individuals are able to prevent any accidents when it comes to their pets.
Below are a list of preventive measures from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control, Pet Poison Hotline, and Northway to prevent common injuries, toxicities, and ingestions of foreign objects during springtime.
Spring bulb plants
While flowers are very much in season during spring and would look very aesthetic, there are extra measures to be taken to ensure your pets are safe. Keep your bulb plants and flowers unreachable for the meantime as ingestion of leaves and flowers can cause vomiting while plant bulbs can be fatal for your pets. You can cordon off the area while the plant bulbs grow so that your pets won’t be able to reach them.
Take for example daffodils, which usually are the first plants to bloom during spring. They contain lycorine and other alkaloids that can be very poisonous to your dogs and cats. Aside from just vomiting, your pets can end up salivating a lot and eventually to diarrhea.
It’s true that while fertilizers help your plants bloom and fruit, it could be very toxic to pets. While there are a lot of organic fertilizers in the market, most contain varying amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, iron, copper, zinc, cobalt, boron, manganese, and molybdenum, some of which are toxic in large proportions or concentrations.
Pets end up vomiting and experience difficulty in breathing once they ingest fertilizers directly. Fertilizers can cause ulcerations in the gastrointestinal tract and even burns on the skin. If your pets manifest some of these, make sure to rush them to the veterinarian immediately so they can get treated.
While it’s best that you keep your pets away from any kind of flowers at the onset of spring, lilies are considered very poisonous to cats. Ingesting these flowers can cause vomiting, kidney failure, and even death to some cats.
Meanwhile, symptoms for dogs can include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, painful abdomen, dehydration, seizures, and redness of gums, eyes, tongue, and mouth. This is why it’s best to ensure that your pets are kept at a distance or are monitored if they are given time to play around the yard.
Tulips and Hyacinth
Dogs like to dig up in the garden. It’s in their nature. But it’s important to know that tulips contain allergenic lactones and hyacinths contain similar alkaloids, which can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus when ingested.
Pet parents can easily notice typical signs of this – profuse drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, all depending on how much your dogs ingested.
Products we use to clean our homes can also be dangerous to our pets. Strong acids or alkaline cleaners are a huge risk, these include toilet bowl cleaners and rust removers. Once ingested or even played with, your pets will end up with an upset stomach, damaged eyes, and skin.
It’s best to keep these cleaning products in a secure place, unreachable to pets to prevent them from accessing these products.
With Spring comes Easter and those Easter eggs made of chocolate and lots of sugar. Chocolate is very toxic to dogs and should never be given to them at any amount. Ingesting chocolate can cause serious health problems.
It’s recommended to keep some of your pet’s favorite treats on hand so they will stop from begging and prevent you to give in and let them have a taste of chocolates. Aside from chocolates, grapes, raisins, currants, and andy food containing them can be harmful to pets. Keep them all out of reach to ensure your pets do not sniff them out or gobble them up.
Despite the weather being slightly more palatable, water in lakes, rivers, and streams are still too cold for your pets. Keep an eye on them during your walks so as not to let them jump in. If they do jump in, they might end up in shock of the cold water and causing them to freeze and struggle to swim, with the possibility of them developing hypothermia.
There are a lot of materials, and everyday items that we think may be normal but could be very toxic for your pets. As pet owners, it’s our responsibility to be cautious and protect our pets from unnecessary ingestion or exposure to such harmful items.
If you are unsure about how to go about with certain things regarding your pet, you can contact us at Northway Veterinary Hospital and we’ll do our best to help you.